Atherosclerosis (arterial wall thickened and loss of elasticity)
Vascular disease, which affects the brain, heart, kidneys, other vital organs, and extremities, is the leading cause of morbidity in the U.S.A. There were almost 1 million deaths due to vascular disease in the USA in 1994 (twice as many as from cancer and 10 times as many as from accidents).
- Abnormal serum lipid levels
- Cigarette smoking
- Diabetes mellitus
- Physical inactivity
- Chlamydia pneumoniae infection
How does it develop?
Please note that this is only my point of view. It could be different from other information and reports.
If we assume the heart is a pump, the amount of blood entering into heart (vein) must equal to the amount of blood coming out from heart (artery) unless there is bleeding in the body.
Quantity = (AREA) x (VELOCITY)
Q= total amount of blood
A= section of diameter of blood
V= speed of blood passing the
(Total blood amount in vein)= (Total blood amount in artery)
We can say now
q1 = a1 x v1, q2 = a2 x v2
An artery is a smaller blood vessel surrounded by thick muscle located deep inside of body. This artery vessel is difficult to expand, whereas a vein is easy to expand, as the vein is thin and located around a superficial area.
Therefore, as a2 is smaller than a1, v2 is faster than v1. As v1 is slow in flowing, any deposits are easy to settle in a1 which is in vein. The deposits in artery are relatively difficult as the velocity is faster in artery. Of course, all deposits begin from vein. When there is only a little room left in the vein, deposits starts to accumulate in the artery. When the person has a chest pain and a diagnosis of an artery blockage in the heart, more than 70-75% of that section of the blood vessel is already blocked. It is wrong to wait until 70-75% of a blood vessel is blocked. Then there is not much choice except surgery. It might require a number of surgeries as there could be more blockages.
What can acupuncturists do for you?
Acupuncturists have simple, inexpensive, and very reliable methods to find problems that could be a danger to the brain, heart, kidneys and other vital organs. We do not advise you to avoid western tests. When Western and Oriental methods are combined, it will bring better results.
Here are a few methods we use.
- Tongue diagnosis
- Pulsation feeling on wrists
- Counting pulse numbers
- Observing face color and speech
- Questioning related symptoms
After we combine and analyze all informations collected, we determine the comprehensive treatment principle to make a yin and yang balance in your body.
What do we suggest?
- Acupuncture treatment can lower blood pressure and last one to two weeks, depending on symptoms and person.
- Oriental herbs
- Drink a tea recommended for your symptoms (Some teas may be able to remove cholesterol)
- Use a pedometer to walk more for physical activity
- Help to select right salt (reducing just salt helps about 50 % of patients to lower blood pressure). There are many different types of salt. The right selection of salt may be very helpful for your diet.
- Education for what to do in a medical emergency such as a stroke
- I may suggest carrying two special items for a health emergency that could save a life.
- Help to stop smoking
Follow Answers with Acupuncture's Facebook page and read my new articles. Click on the LIKE button below.