Fibroids-Uterus related diseases
Fibroids are muscular tumors that grow in the wall of the uterus (womb).
Some concerns about fibroids
Western medicine may look for uterine fibroids itself but the original cause is unknown. The easy option is surgery. If the size is small, it may be relatively easy to handle. If the size is large and the only option is to remove the uterus, it may be difficult for a woman to decide what to do.
Considerations before a surgery
- Removal of the uterus means the woman can no longer bear children. This surgery also creates early menopause for a woman.
- Even if a woman does not want any more children, she has to face the important emotional issue of losing an important female organ. Some say “As a woman you are over childbearing age and the uterus and ovaries have finished their function already, therefore uterus is not necessary.” Can you agree this kind of concept? Can you ask a man “your childbearing is over; let me cut your testicles and prostate?” In my opinion this kind of surgery is female castration.
- All organs in the body have their purposes. For example tonsils used to be thought as an unnecessary organ, but not anymore. If there is any alternative method to save the uterus, the patient must seek it. Surgery must be a last option in my opinion.
After a surgery, we have to consider this:
- The size of uterus is just like a fist. After removing the uterus, this space must be filled by other organs, possibly the small intestine. This may cause a digestive problem as part of small intestine may be changed into siphon.
- The abdominal area would be cut for a surgery and the cut would be sutured. While western theory doesn’t have the concept of meridians, the eastern concept believes in meridians. These meridians will be damaged with a cut. The skin after a surgery becomes the scar tissue, which is usually thick. This will block the free flow of energy. Any female considering a surgery must discuss how to be cut with an acupuncturist because a cut could damage one or more meridians.
Causes of fibroids according to Traditional Chinese Medicine
Fibroids existed a long time ago, too. There are many patterns in TCM such as Qi and blood stagnation or stasis, liver Qi stagnation, liver and kidney yin deficiency, blood stasis caused by cold uterus, phlegm accumulation by spleen Qi deficiency or/and combined with the above that indicate the existence of fibroids.
Fibroids are muscular tumors that grow in the wall of the uterus (womb). What I notice from the above is “muscular”. The medical trend is to combine eastern and western knowledge. As I am an acupuncturist, I must interpret and combine western information into TCM. According to acupuncture theory, muscle is governed by spleen. For example, liver governs tendon, heart governs blood vessels, lung governs skin and kidney governs bones. We can say the original cause for fibroids is from spleen dysfunction. This simple information will be a great help to treat fibroids. Spleen overcontrols kidney from five element cycles. The uterus itself doesn’t belong to the five organs, but its function is close to kidney. This information is a little technical for nonprofessionals.
Of course this view is different from a western view that fibroids are caused by a hormone imbalance of estrogen or progesterone.
Treatment principle for fibroids
The treatment principle for fibroids is similar to the principle for treatment of someone who has an infection on their arm. The infected arm is swollen and the skin becomes red. The patient has a feeling of heat in the arm. As time passes, pus is formed on the top of the swollen area. When the pus is squeezed out, pain may follow temporally but the wound heals faster than if it is left alone.
Fibroid treatment is similar to the above example though fibroids are an inside matter not outside. As soon as the fibroid breaks out, it starts to discharge. A pushing force from the endometrium is required. This force can be achieved by acupuncture and herbal treatment.
A female who was 55 years old, 5’6” tall and medium size, came to me for treatment for her fibroids. Her MD told her that the only option was a surgery. She had a special sense that she might die if the knife cut her body during the surgery. She went to a Catholic Church everyday to pray to take care of her fibroids without a surgery. She was very happy to hear that I could take care of her problem without a surgery in most cases.
When I examined by touching hands to her abdominal area, I was surprised by its size. It was 7.5” x 5.5”. It was like a large pineapple. The fibroids felt like the outer rind of a pineapple. The fibroid was located mostly on right side and one inch off from the center to left. When she bent, the head of the fibroid touched and hurt her abdominal area, so she couldn’t bend.
While the patient was in the table, she told me some weird thing. She told me she could see green color glowing in my chest like a large heart shape. It is just like luminous watch. I asked her what this means. She told me that I have a great healing power which only a few people have. I heard a couple of times about this green color; a few patients said they saw me wearing a green color crown. Each time they told me that I have a healing power. She told me now she had a great confidence in her treatment. Personally I am not aware of this kind of power. Her fear that the surgery knife may kill her isn’t ridiculous.
After the first acupuncture treatment, she went to the bathroom immediately. She said she had less pain when she bent and asked me if it was because of acupuncture. I couldn’t answer whether it related with acupuncture or not. I may say yes, the pain was lessened because of acupuncture when the patient has a smaller grapefruit sized fibroid (grapefruit size is considered a very large size). I wasn’t sure due to the very large size in this case. She ordered herbal medicine to pick up at her next visit. I spent two days researching to prescribe this herb, as the size of her fibroid was very large and the symptoms were very complicated. I wrestled with all the herbal text books.
Due to her business schedule, she could come once or twice a week. After four treatments, the size of the fibroid shrank to a 5.5” round ball. She was very happy with her progress. Her only problem was she had to wear a diaper everyday. There was not only blood, but also lots of dirty discharges. She couldn’t come to the clinic for three weeks because of her job. When she came, the size of the fibroid had become like an egg. She took three more acupuncture treatments and finished her treatment.
She called her MD and told him her fibroids were gone and her prayer was answered. He asked her how it happened. When she answered “by acupuncture”, he said, “Acupuncture? I don’t believe it.” He asked if he could come to the acupuncturist’s clinic and meet him. I met him. While I shook hands with him, I told him that he had a pericardium and liver problem. He was amazed that I could tell his health related problem without any tests, such as blood test, EKG, MRI, etc. He admitted he had that issue. I told him “I can’t tell everything by just looking at the patient, but your problem showed obviously in your face and head.” I also explained how acupuncture works. He thanked me and promised to introduce patients to me in the future if they refuse or are reluctant about having surgery.
See this website for important information about fibroids.
Follow Answers with Acupuncture's Facebook page and read my new articles. Click on the LIKE button below.